Thursday, February 19, 2009

Our First Valentine's Day

To celebrate our first Valentine's Day since getting married, we traveled up to Maggie Valley, NC with a couple of Randy's co-workers and their families.  Upon arrival there, I was not so excited about the place we were staying; really, nothing more than an old, sketchy motel.  Although if you ever travel to Maggie Valley, there isn't a much more than that in general.  

So Saturday we all went for some good ol' country breakfast to get our day going.  With full bellies, we packed up everybody to go tubing in the snow (well, fake snow)! We had good fun with this activity until I fell off the tube and ate some snow pretty badly. Eventually I got talked into getting back on the tube for a few more runs. Some late lunch and down time prepped us for an evening of skiing at Cataloochee.  We spent several hours out on the slopes traveling up to the 'blue' slope finally. Randy had never skiied a blue before but he did very well. 

Here is us waiting for the rest of the group at the bottom of the slopes:
















A nice pizza dinner to celebrate Valentine's day and some gin rummy while watching all the holiday movies on TV was perfect for us. Sunday morning we headed back to Augusta because we both had things that needed to be done before Monday.  

Now, the reason I mentioned the sketchy motel in the beginning of the post was because it plays a role now... Today I went to the Student Health Center at MCG to get my diagnosis confirmed: bed bug bites!! The doctor was certain they must have come from the motel this past weekend. What a pleasant thing to find out.  So, now we are cleaning everything; clothes, bedding, the cat, etc. The gift that keeps on giving... Happy Valentine's Day! 

2 comments:

  1. I've stayed at a stetchy place before too. We were in an old mining town in New York. The next day were were going mining for gold. Well, I didn't sleep well the whole night because I kept scratching. THe next day I had bites all over me. It wasn't fun. We got back to our house in NY and washed everything, but I was still paranoid they were on my blanket or pillow!

    It sounds like you guys had fun other than that!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, they haven't been fun so far. You really do get paranoid that they are everywhere! I feel your pain!

    ReplyDelete